Even on substrates with fluorescent whitening agents, provides accurate evaluation
As graphics-related industries shift more and more to digital methods, printed materials have an increasing reliance on numerical control of the quality that’s both faster and easier than the human eye’s visual evaluation. However, since the final materials are intended to be seen by the human eye, what’s needed are measurement results that closely resemble the results of visual evaluation.
But there’s a potential problem. the final viewed color is influenced by the paper on which materials are printed. That’s because fluorescent whitening agents (FWAs) are used on many kinds of paper used for printing which make the paper appear brighter. When viewed under Illuminant D50*1, the effect of the paper’s fluorescence on the color of printed materials is particularly large. For this reason, ISO 13655-2009*2 defined Measurement Condition M1 as having illumination corresponding to CIE Illuminant D50, which minimizes differences in measurement results due to paper fluorescence, an effect that was difficult to measure with conventional handheld spectrodensitometers.
Utilizing Konica Minolta’s original VFS (Virtual Fluorescence Standard) technology in the FD-7 spectrodensitometer offers a unique solution to this problem by enabling color evaluation while taking into consideration the fluorescence of the paper under Illuminant D50, the standard light source for color evaluation used by the printing industry. These are the first instruments to provide measurement results that correspond to ISO 13655 Measurement Condition M1.
*1 An artificial light source, commonly used for color measurement, is defined by the CIE having a spectral distribution simulating daylight.
*2 ISO 13655-2009: Graphic technology – Spectral measurement and colorimetric computation for graphic arts images
Even on substrates with fluorescent whitening agents it provides accurate evaluation
- Color and density control by printers
- Measurement of fluorescence in R & D of printing machinery manufacturers and paper manufacturers
- Printed color patch measurements
- Ink CCM systems input sensor
Scan measurements can be performed.
- Even when the instrument is connected to a PC, manual scan measurements can be performed.
With optional software basICColor catch all, the density values, colorimetric values, and spectral reflectance values of various test charts (MediaWedge ECI2002, IT8.7/3, etc.) can be measured in a single operation.
- It makes the FD-7 ideal for research and development applications since both spectral reflectance data (380 to 730nm) under various light sources and spectral irradiance data (360 to 730 nm) of environmental lighting can be measured and output to a computer.
For Measuring Illumination
Even measure illumination environment light
- Measure the illuminance and color temperature in a color viewing cabinet or the actual ambient light under which printed materials will be evaluated.
Calculate colorimetric values under the measured light source (which more closely correspond to on-site visual evaluation). This eliminates time and labor lost resolving customer complaints and ensures customers receive the colors they want.
For Measuring Color and Density
Uniquely corresponds to Measurement Condition M1 of ISO 13655
- The first M1 type in the world.
- Konica Minolta’s original technology, VFS (Virtual Fluorescence Standard) enables L*a*b* measurements corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Condition M1 (CIE Illuminant D50). In addition, color measurements can also be taken corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Conditions M0 (CIE Illuminant A) and M2 (illumination with UV-cut filter).
Automatic wavelength compensation function is industry’s first
- No additional work required for wavelength compensation which is performed during white calibration.
- Until now, wavelength compensation could only be carried out as one part of manufacturer servicing, but now whenever white calibration is done, this task is performed, which helps to maintain the high reliability of measurement values in between periodic servicing.
Now visual evaluation corresponds more closely with color measurements.
Measuring materials printed on substrates containing fluorescent whitening agents (FWA), large differences between the results of measurements and visual evaluation may occur when using conventional instruments. With the new FD-7/FD-5, measurement results and visual evaluation results correspond more closely, and that includes the effects of any FWA contained in the paper.
- Measurements of density, dot gain, dot area ratio, illumination, and color are simple.
- Anyone can take measurements very easily, thanks to instructions in the LCD screen guide operation.
The main body weighs only about 350g, and it’s only about 430g even with the target mask attached, lighter than any spectrodensitometer previously available. Efficiency is improved when taking measurements over a long time the load is reduced on the user’s arm during work.
*1 Display-equipped spectrodensitometer. As of November 1, 2010
After-sales service for worry-free ownership
- Rapid support provided by worldwide service centers when needed.
- Your instrument is always in top shape, ensured with a comprehensive service network
Printing Color Management Software BasICColor catch all (Optional accessory)
- Customize the screen easily with data list view, 3D graph, pass/fail screen, etc.
- Compatible with various test charts (MediaWedge, ECI2002, IT8.7/3, etc.)
- Illumination/viewing system
- 45°a: 0°(annular illumination) *1
Conforms to CIE No. 15, ISO 7724/1, DIN 5033 Teil 7, ASTM E 1164, and JIS Z 8722 Condition a for reflectance measurements
- Spectral separation device
- Concave grating
- Wavelength range
- Spectral reflectance: 360 nm to 740 nm
Spectral irradiance: 360 to 730 nm
- Wavelength pitch
- 10 nm
- Half bandwidth
- Approx. 10 nm
- Measurement area
- Φ3.5 mm
- Light source
- Measurement range
- Density: 0.0D to 2.5D; Reflectance: 0 to 150%
- Short-term repeatability
- Density: σ0.01D
Colorimetric: Within σΔE00 0.05 (When white plate is measured 30 times at 10-second intervals after white calibration has been performed)
- Inter-instrument agreement
- Within ΔE00 0.3 (Average of 12 BCRA Series II color tiles compared to values measured with a master body under Konica Minolta standard conditions)
- Measurement time
- Approx. 1.4 s (single-point reflectance measurement)
- Displayed values
- Colorimetric values, color-difference values, density values, density-difference values, dot area ratio, dot gain, PASS/FAIL judgment, illuminance, correlated color temperature
- Measurement conditions
- Corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Conditions M0 (CIE Illuminant A), M1 (CIE Illuminant D50), and M2 (illumination with UV-cut filter); User-defined illuminant
- A, C, D50, ID50, D65, ID65, F2, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, User-defined illuminant
- 2° Standard Observer, 10° Standard Observer
- Color spaces
- L*a*b*, L*C*h, Hunter Lab, Yxy, XYZ, and color differences in these color spaces
- Color-difference equations
- ΔE*ab (CIE 1976), ΔE*94 (CIE 1994), ΔE00 (CIE 2000), ΔE (Hunter), CMC (l: c)
- WI (ASTM E 313-96); Tint (ASTM E 313-96); ISO Brightness (ISO 2470-1); D65 Brightness (ISO 2470-2); Fluorescence index
- ISO Status T, ISO Status E, ISO Status A; DIN 16536
- Storable data
- Colorimetric target data: 30 data; Density target data: 30 data
- Display language
- English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified)
- Scanning measurements*2
- Scanning measurement of a color chart can be performed.
- USB 2.0
- Output data*2
- Displayed values; Spectral reflectance data; Spectral irradiance data
- Rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery (Number of measurements per charge: Approx. 2,000 when new); AC adapter; USB power bus
(W × D × H)
- 70 × 165 × 83 mm (Body only);
90 × 172 × 84 mm (With target mask attached)
- Approx. 350 g (Body only); Approx. 430 g (With target mask attached)
- Operating temperature/humidity range
- 10 to 35°C, 30 to 85% relative humidity with no condensation
- Storage temperature/ humidity range
- 0 to 45°C, 0 to 85% relative humidity with no condensation
Specifications are subject to change without notice.
∗1 Illumination for wavelengths under 400nm is unidirectional.
∗2 Available when using PC software.
No accessories for this product.